Day 98: Summer vacation at last!! We had a nice little getaway to Palisades RV Park last weekend. Grandpa and Grandma Wall rented a house and invited uncles, aunts, and cousins up for the weekend--a reunion of sorts. I packed our things as if we would stay the whole weekend and then let Travis decide when he was ready to go home. We ended up staying 3 days! The house ended up being really comfortable for him and he visited lots and enjoyed his family. We roasted marshmallows over a campfire and enjoyed dutch oven cooking by the Wall men. My girls kept themselves busy carving willow walking sticks and taking walks with me and the dogs to the river. Lily especially liked to walk Ruby on her leash.
One evening we were looking at the stars. Travis explained that the bright one was Mars and that it was the closest it would be to us for the next 40 years or so. Melissa, his cousin, looked at Travis and exclaimed, "Travis, you're just as smart as you ever were!!" Like Melissa, I am awed at times at the things Travis still knows and understands. He struggles to say or express ideas at times, but it is clear to the observer that Travis still possesses a keen mind and driving intellect. I am hopeful for a full recovery.
"Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight..."