Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Week 13: Sept. 9, 2009

Day 91: Being the 9th day of the 9th month in the year 2009, we decided to celebrate Kaylie's 9th birthday with Travis today. What better day!? Travis was having surgery on her real birthday in June and was extremely out of it to say the least. The girls decorated with red balloons and white crepe paper. Kaylie ordered homemade pumpkin pie. We re-lighted her big #9 candle in the middle of her pie--she blew it out like a pro. She opened a gift we saved all this time for her--a Willowtree figurine "Thinking of you." Then Kaylie popped the only balloon with money in it out on the grass--her lucky day! The culminating event though was Travis singing his own rendition of Happy "Late" Birthday to her at bedtime. He was pretty funny! Dad's have their own way with things. It is awesome to have him home.

We've been home a month and 2 days now. Day after day, Travis lives his life in our bedroom. He doesn't get into his wheelchair much because it's narrow and hurts his amputated leg. He prefers to sit up in bed or lay down in bed, but be in bed. Well, this morning he said, "I want to try to mow the lawn." I'm thinking, "How are we going to get you up on the lawn mower? Are you going to be strong enough to steer? Will the vibrations hurt your brain!? What if you crash!" But, I realize a man's got to do what a man's got to do, so I loaded him up in the wheelchair and took him to the garage. After a lot of finagling with stools, pillows and blankets, we slid him over onto the lawnmower. Then, a strange thing happened, he asked ME how to run the lawnmower! Was that a complete reversal of roles, or what! After a quick explanation, off Travis went at a slow but steady roar (I made sure he wore ear protection)! I followed him at first. Then watched him with the girls from the porch (They were squealing and cheering him on). Then I started pulling weeds and watching him out of the corner of my eye. He looked like he was actually enjoying himself. For the first time in months, he could go where he wanted to go! THAT was really good for him. He ended up mowing about half of the lawn before he decided to get off. Luckily a friend stopped by and helped get him off the mower. Amazing things happen every day! Travis surprised us all--today he mowed the lawn! No kidding!