Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 51: July 31, 2009

Day 51: This Wednesday marked the seventh week Travis has been in the hospital. Who would have ever guessed? This doesn't happen. He's young...healthy! I have spent part of every day here and I still can't believe we've been here this long.

I guess the good thing is that Travis is young and healthy. He is recovering fast. His balance is really good. He transfers himself from bed to wheelchair, etc. He rolls over on his side in bed just like he used to. He touches his hand to his face just like he always has. His movements are familiar and coordinated.

This week Travis' conversation and memory has really kicked in. For example, he remembers turkey hunting with Emily this spring. He can explain the hunt in order and detail. He remembers teaching his biology and evolution classes up to the day of the accident. He remembers the places that come up in conversation such as Sunny Gulch or Kendrick. He remembers details about people. What he struggles with right now is saying the names of people or sometimes things. He knows details about people, but he struggles with their name. When I give him the name, he nods that it is the right person. He sometimes doesn't remember my name or our daughters' names. He knows I'm his wife, but the "label" Rebecca isn't always there. This will come with time. It is already getting better.

As we watch the other patients up in rehab, we realize the fragility of life. We realize that we don't have it so bad. One patient believes he's at work all day. He scurries through the hallways and rooms parking "cars" or getting his tools. One day he took Travis' bedpan thinking it was his toolbox. He is in his own world. A toothbrush is a telephone to him and he'll hold it up to his ear and talk to it. He tried to open the door today with M&M's thinking they were his keys. He spices up our days and make us laugh at times. However, I pray for him to get better. He and his family really are in a tough spot. One family we got to know moved their loved one home today. He fell off a roof. He was a painter and will have to find a new line of work. He walked out of the hospital though and his intellect is intact. What we have today could, Poof!, be gone tomorrow. I cherish my family more than ever.