Sunday, August 16, 2009

Day 67 (9 weeks 4 days): Sunday, August 16, 2009

August 16: I decided to start counting by weeks. The number of days is too numerous anymore to be relative except by dividing by 7, for me anyway. Days work themselves into weeks....

We've been home a little over a week now. I wanted to light a candle and stick it in Travis' toasted cheese sandwich then the baby cried or something and he ate it (the sandwich!). We talked about our week anniversary and that was good enough. We feel good about where we are. Travis is getting stronger physically. He is trying hard mentally. He is progressing. We are taking life day by day.

Thursday night I'd had it with the stress of the day and was getting cross with the kids. Travis called me into the bedroom and told me to "be good." Then he added, "Life is to be good." I wanted to cry and say it was too hard. Then he said, "Look at me. I'm missing a leg. I'm o.k. This could have turned out a lot different. Be good." His eyes were red-rimmed with tears. How could I not "BE GOOD?" We've still got each other, our family.

Life is to be good!

I am trying to let go of the worrying and live.

It continues to amaze me that people still remember us in their prayers. Just yesterday, I had three different people tell me that they continue to pray for us. I am humbled and amazed. Thank you to everyone that prays for us! My strength through this ordeal comes from prayer. From the very beginning, God let me know that Travis would live and that he would one day teach again at the college. I have held on to that witness through the weeks of uncertainty when he hovered on the thin edge between life and death. I knew he would live. Now we face the reality of brain trauma. I hang on to that promise again. When Travis calls his foot his hand or can't remember the names of simple household items, I look at him and think "He'll get better. It will just take time." I can be optimistic. Our prayers and yours will get us through.